Why Python 2.7?

ajudson
Hi all,
I just started reading RFC #4 after a computer vision friend told me about this project. I was curious what libraries made it necessary to use Python 2.7 vs. Python 3 - Python 3 has some nice optional static typing (mypy) that I believe would work well with enforcing the interfaces between LPUs. Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered/isn't relevant, just started reading the documentation and am very excited about this project.
Best,
Andrew

Re: Why Python 2.7?

Lev Givon
Administrator
Received from Andrew Judson on Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 04:38:32PM EST:
> Hi all,
> I just started reading RFC #4 after a computer vision friend told me about
> this project. I was curious what libraries made it necessary to use Python
> 2.7 vs. Python 3 - Python 3 has some nice optional static typing (mypy)
> that I believe would work well with enforcing the interfaces between LPUs.
> Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered/isn't relevant, just started
> reading the documentation and am very excited about this project.
> Best,
> Andrew

Hi, Andrew.

We started using Python 2 when the project was initiated in 2011 because PyCUDA
didn't support Python 3 at the time. I don't believe there are any external
dependencies that would currently prevent us from shifting to Python 3; we have
not done so yet because of a combination of more pressing project priorities and
the absence of an overwhelming need for Python 3-specific features. I created an
enhancement issue [1] to keep this on the radar screen; if you are interested in
getting more involved in the project, pull requests are welcome!

[1] https://github.com/neurokernel/neurokernel/issues/55
--
Lev Givon
Bionet Group | Neurokernel Project